What Ivanka Did This Week is a weekly column that explores what Ivanka Trump, first daughter and adviser to President Donald Trump, does all day. Ivanka’s schedule has not been made public, so every week, we’ll do our greatest to cowl the general public occasions and boards she attends, the conferences she has with lawmakers and authorities officers, and her social media presence.
Refinery29 submitted a Freedom of Info Act request for Ivanka’s public schedule; it was denied.
Friday, July 6
• Ivanka tweeted a few optimistic messages in regards to the financial system’s progress.
Sunday, July 8
• Ivanka tweeted a Wall Road Journal article known as “Ivanka Checks the ‘Truth Checker’: Ought to the Washington Publish award itself just a few Pinocchios?”
Monday, July 9
• Forward of Wednesday’s listening to on paid household go away, held in entrance of a subcommittee of the Senate Committee on Finance, Ivanka tweeted that solely 15% of American employees have entry to paid household go away, of which 6% are low-income employees. She additionally tweeted that she’s trying ahead to the listening to, which was hosted by Louisiana Republican Sen. Invoice Cassidy.
Wanting ahead to Wednesday’s bipartisan Senate listening to hosted by Senator @BillCassidy on Paid Household Go away. We encourage our lawmakers to come back collectively and start to chart a path ahead for a long-overdue nationwide #PFL plan that may safe the votes to be signed into regulation!
— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) July 9, 2018
• Ivanka visited New York state asphalt firm Swimsuit-Kote with NY Republican Rep. Claudia Tenney “to see the optimistic impacts of #TaxReform.” She participated in a roundtable and even drove a paver with the assistance of an worker. “Thanks for the lesson (and persistence) Alan!” she tweeted.
• Later that day, Ivanka visited Syracuse P-Tech, a vocational highschool, for a roundtable on training and workforce growth. There have been reportedly round 100 protesters in opposition to the Trump administration’s household separation coverage on the college, holding indicators that learn issues like, “No children in cages.”
Tuesday, July 10
• Ivanka held a dialogue about paid household go away on the White Home with Sens. Mike Lee, Marco Rubio, and Joni Ernst. She additionally continued to tweet in favour of a bipartisan answer.
• Ivanka tweeted a Nationwide Evaluate article about jobs.
Wednesday, July 11
• Ivanka sparred with Chris Lu, a former Obama official, about paid household go away on Twitter. He identified that Democrats have been attempting to go the FAMILY Act for years, however Republicans will not assist it. She responded that there is but to be a plan with “bipartisan assist.”
As you recognize, it takes two to tango.
Fortunately there have been some (however too few) legislative bipartisan bright-spots on points comparable to workforce growth (Perkins CTE) + combatting opioid dependancy and human trafficking.
— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) July 11, 2018
• Ivanka attended the listening to on paid household go away, the place New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and others testified in favour of the FAMILY Act, which is extra complete than the Republican plan anticipated to be launched by Sen. Marco Rubio.
After the listening to, we caught up with Ivanka within the Senate hallway, the place we requested her why the Republican plan solely covers new dad and mom, which leaves out roughly 75% of leave-takers. “My choice is to transcend parental go away,” she mentioned. “However…proper now we’re at zero weeks of paid go away. We do not have parental, we do not have caregiving.”
• Dozens of neighbours protested in entrance of Ivanka and husband Jared Kushner’s home in D.C.’s upscale Kalorama neighbourhood, the Every day Mail reported. Urging Ivanka to do one thing about her father’s failure to reunite immigrant kids with their dad and mom, they held indicators like, “You personal this. Inform daddy, ‘Sufficient!'”
Ivanka reportedly “prevented the drama” by stepping out of the home throughout the protest. “Underneath regular circumstances we might by no means protest outdoors a house. However these are usually not regular circumstances,” one among her neighbours, a retired lawyer and theology trainer, advised the Every day Mail.
Thursday, July 12
• Again on the Hill, Ivanka continued to push for the Perkins Act, which gives “federal funding to states and discretionary grantees for the development of secondary and postsecondary profession and technical education schemes.”
Like what you see? How about some extra R29 goodness, proper right here?